As the number of tablets grows, it’s even more challenging to select the best tablets on the market in 2014, as every user has different preferences, needs, and expectations when looking for a tablet, some users look for a gadget to use for business or productivity purpose, others look for an entertainment gadget, and some others look for a powerful gaming tablets to run their favorite games, whatever the kind of tablet you’re looking for keep in mind that the best tablets come with high-quality components, cutting-edge technology, and useful tools to be more productive.
Tablets are trending these days, and you may be considering buying your first tablet, or you’re upgrading your old one, whatever the reason, before buying a tablet you need to consider some important facts:
For what are you buying a tablet?
The first is what’s the reason behind buying a tablet?, it may be to fill the entertainment part of your life such as to play your favorite apps and games, browse the internet to check your email, get connected with your friends, or stream movies and TV show, for this purpose you have plenty of options to choose from at affordable prices, as these simple tasks don’t require a powerful tablet, for this purpose the Amazon Kindle Fire, the Nexus 7, and LG pad 8.3 are all perfect options.
In the other hand, if you need a tablet for productivity or business purpose, such as to run office suites, video/image editing, multitasking, and heavy software, then you’ll need a tablet with powerful features to handle all the heavy workloads, and in this case the Surface Pro 3, the iPad Air, and the Galaxy note Pro are the best options to consider, as these tablets provide additional components to get work done, such as external keyboard, pen or stylus, external ports and much more.
Lastly, if you are a gamer, then you’ll need a tablet with powerful processor and GPU to play the latest games that require fast components to run smoothly, and in this case, the iPad air, the iPad Mini 2, the Galaxy Tab s, the Sony Xperia 2, are all perfect options for gaming purpose.
Operating systems provide the user interface for all tablets, and the best tablets must have a clean and intuitive user interface. There are three main Operating systems being: iOS, Android, and Windows.
iOS works only on Apple tablets, in this case iPad Air and iPad Mini 2. iOS is one of the best operating systems featuring a clean and highly intuitive user interface and when it comes to apps, iOS offers a vast app store to equip your Apple tablet with the best tools.
Android OS works on many tablets including Samsung, LG, Sony, and many more. Android OS provides unlimited options to customize your tablet to make it look better, which also offers thousands of apps on the play store.
For Windows lovers, Windows tablets brings all your computer experience in your tablet, Windows OS allows you to run all your desktop favorite software, such as Photoshop and Microsoft Office, and much more.
Tablets screen sizes range from 7 to 12 inches and depending on your needs, screen sizes makes a big difference, for instance, a small screen is good for playing games, displaying pictures, browsing the internet, and so on, but if you love big screen and want to use your tablet for multitasking and productive work, then a big screen tablet is the best option.
These are other guides you may be interesting in reading to help you decide what kind of tablet best fits your needs:
This article is updated when new options become available to help you decide which one best fits your needs, by showing the best tablets on the market in 2014, and it’s based on price, quality, and performance.
The best tablets of 2014
The best Tablets for business 2014
1. Surface Pro 3
Microsoft presents the Surface Pro 3 as the tablet that can replace your laptop, being one of the most powerful tablets in the world that is perfect for business tasks on the go. Surface Pro 3 comes with Windows 8.1 to handle all your essential desktop software such as Microsoft Office, Adobe, Photoshop, Camtasia, and more. It features powerful fourth generation Intel Core i7,i5, and i3 processors, which brings all the power for heavy workload, all these processor have been packed into a thinner and lightweight box, that weighs only 800 grams (1.76 lb). With the larger 12 inch screen, there is plenty of space to work on, featuring a bright 2160 x 1440 screen resolution, with a 3:2 aspect ratio. Multiple kickstand positions is a handy feature when working with the tablet in different position, it also features a smart pen that lets you take notes in your own handwriting.
The Surface Pro 3 offers all the necessary extra options to be perfect for business tasks such as MicroSD Card Reader, USB 3.0 ports, Surface Ethernet, and a docking Station to connect all your favorite external devices. Here are its key features:
- Best tablet for business:That offers both a fully powered laptop, and a tablet
- 4th generation Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 Processor TPM Chip for enterprise security
- Microsoft Office suite included
- 9 hours Battery life
- 5.0 Megapixels front and rear camera
- Multiple Kickstand positions
- Full-size USB 3.0 and microSDXC card reader
- Windows 8.1 Pro operating system
- It’s an expensive tablet, but it worth it
- Somewhat heavy compered to other tablets on the market
- External Keyword (sold separately)
Models and Price
- Intel Core i3, 64 GB storage and 4 GB of RAM—$799
- Intel Core i5, 128 GB storage and 4 GB of RAM—$999
- Intel Core i5, 256 GB storage and 8 GB of RAM—$1,299
- Intel Core i7, 256 GB storage and 8 GB of RAM—$1,549
- Intel Core i7, 512 GB storage and 8 GB of RAM—$1,949
Check it out at Amazon:
Dell Venue 11 Pro
Photo credit: DELL
Dell venue 11 Pro is a powerful businesses tablet, which is a perfect alternative for Surface Pro 3 for its more affordable price tag; it comes ready for work with Windows 8.1 as the OS to run all your business software. Dell Venue 11 pro features a full-sized USB 3.0 port, a Micro HDMI port, and Audio ports, and when it comes to typing, you can easily plug in a dell keyboard that converts your tablet in a full-sized laptop, and for even more external options you can buy a Dell tablet Dock separately, which features a USB port, HDMI port, Mini Display port and audio I/O to connect all kind of devices as needed.
Dell Venue 11 Pro comes with quad-core Intel Atom and Intel Core i5 Processor versions. When you need a reliable business tablet this features 8 to 10 hours battery life, and if that not enough for you, the external keyboard comes with a built-in rechargeable battery to extend the life of your battery. It also features high-quality cameras to connect with your coworkers with an 8MP rear camera and 2MP front camera. Here are its key features:
- The most versatile business 2 in 1 laptop tablet, with affordable price tag
- Windows 8.1 OS ready for running any kind of desktop software
- 10.8-inch 10-point capacitive touchscreen IPS display
- Dell Tablet Keyboard (Sold separately) for full-sized laptop experience
- Support for Dell tablet Dock to connect all your desktop devices
- Powerful quad-core Atom and Intel i5 processor flavors
- USB 3.0 port, SD card reader, and Micro HDMI port
Check it out at AMAZON:
iPad has become probably the best tablet in the world for many reasons. The first, iPad was the first tablet that revolutionized the market with the first generation released back in 2010, that soon became the most popular option for millions of users for its simple, yet brilliant user interface and design. Second, with the new iPad Air, Apple posses one of the best panel displays with a resolution of 2048p x 1536p, at 264 ppi, featuring Retina Display Technology, which represents the Apples’s culture of stunning design. Third, the 64-bit architecture A7 processor packed into the ipad Air, is as powerful as a desktop’s processor, representing a great improvement in performance with less power consumption, with 10 hour battery life. Fourth, its sleek and lightweight design, makes it the perfect companion to carry while traveling or going out. Lastly, iOS 7 was design for iPad Air to run smother and fit perfectly; iOS7 comes with improved features with smarter multitasking capabilities and a intuitive control center.
Obviously there is room for improvement for the apples’s tablet with the upcoming generations as the iPad air 2, however, today, iPad Air is a great option to consider. There are many more great features for this tablet, but the following are its best features:
- Best Tablet overall on the market
- A7 Chip with 64-bit Architecture combined with M7 motion coprocessor which makes it faster
- Apple iOS 7 the world’s most advanced mobile Operating System
- Retina Display 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- FaceTime HD Camera and 5 MP iSight Camera
- Built-in Apps, plus wide range of apps available in the App store.
- UltraFast Wi-Fi and LTE bands technology.
- Slim design which makes it one of the best tablets to carry in outdoor places.
Models and Prices
|16GB WiFi Cellular||$629|
|32GB WiFi Cellular||$729|
|64GB WiFi Cellular||$829|
|128GB WiFi Cellular||$929|
Best entertainment tablets 2014
1. iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display
iPad mini 2 with Retina Display delivers the complete iPad air experience packed into a smaller form factor with a compact and crisp 7.9 inch Retina display. iPad mini offers mostly all the same features as the iPad air with some differences. First, iPad mini is amazing to hold with such a small size, being only .29 inch thin and weighs less than .73 of a pound, that makes it a truly portable device to carry everywhere. Second, despite its size, this small tablet features a powerful 64-bit architecture A7 processor, delivering the power of a desktop computer. Third, it’s amazing how this small tablet can be able to hold a crisp and brilliant resolution, even higher than the resolution of an HDTV; this tablet features 2048-by-1536 pixels screen resolution, at 326 ppi with Retina Display technology.
You’ll have the best experience when carrying the mini iPad to everyplace you go packing the best apps to help you stay organized and productive. The 5-megapixel iSight camera comes handy at capturing the best moments of your life, which then organizes your photos and videos into albums. Here are the best features of this tablet:
- Retina Display 7.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- A7 Chip with 64-bit technology combined with a clever M7 motion co-processor
- Apple’s iOS 7 the world’s most advance mobile operating system
- UltraFast Wi-Fi technology and LTE bands.
- Slim design which makes it one of the best tablets to carry in outdoor places
Models and Price
|16GB WiFi Cellular||$529|
|32GB WiFi Cellular||$629|
|64GB WiFi Cellular||$729|
|128GB WiFi Cellular||$829|
4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
This is a top android tablet packing such a brilliant and colorful screen with a slimmer design that impresses. The super AMOLED display comes with 2560 x 16000 resolution that looks better than the iPad Air with 2048p x 1536p. Galaxy tab is also thinner and lighter than the iPad Air measuring just 0.26 inches thin and weighs 1.02 pounds, compared with the iPad Air’s 0.29 inch thin and 1.03 pounds weight. Samsung integrates the Tab S with SideSync 3.0 with lets you connect your galaxy phone screen with your Galaxy Tab S device; this clever feature lets you make and receive calls from your tablet and file sharing is even easier as you can move your files between your devices. Galaxy Tab S features the interesting fingerprint scanner that comes integrated into the home button.
Galaxy Tab s provides a robust performance featuring an Exynos 5 octa-core processor along with 3GB RAM memory, with 16GB internal storage and up to 128GB external storage option trough microSD slot. When it comes to productivity, this tablet comes integrated with Multi Window, which lets complete multiple tasks in one screen. If you want to enjoy those movies and games, or surf the web, the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is the perfect option for high quality Entertainment features. These are its best features:
- Stunning Super AMOLED display (2560 x 1600 pixels)
- Thinnest and lightest Samsung tablet perfect to carry out
- Robust Exynos 5 octa-core processor along 3GB RAM memory
- Features Ultra Power Saving for longer battery life
- Integrated with SideSync 3.0 that controls your galaxy phone
- Multitasking enabled with MultiWindows that enable more productivity
Models and Price
Titanium Bronze- 16GB = $479.00
Dazzling White – 16GB = $499.00
5.Google Nexus 7
Google claims this tablet to be the world’s sharpest 7″ tablet screen. As a proof for such claim, its screen resolution is a stunning 1080p HD IPS with 1920×1200 HD display (323 ppi) displaying vivid and brilliant images and videos in vibrant 1080p HD. It is one of the most affordable models of android tablets in the today’s market, though its features and overall performance are very impressive. It has an excellent build quality and the following are its best features:
- Brilliant 7.02″ 1920×1200 HD display (323 ppi) 1080p HD IPS
- Fast Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro, 1.5GHz Quad Core Processor
- 16 to 32GB Memory Space
- 1.2MP front facing, fixed focus 5MP rear facing, auto focus
- Fits perfectly in your hand with excellent build quality
Model and price
16 GB WiFi = $229
32 GB WiFi = $269
32 GB Wifi +LTE = 349
6. Sony Xperia Table Z2
Sony presents this tablet as the slimmest and lightest waterproof tablet in the world At only 6.4 mm and less than 440 grams. It features a very powerful Quad-core processor with 2.3 GHz that can catch up to the performance of the best tablets in the market. It is such a great experience holding this tablet, it is best for entertainment purpose being a PlayStation certified tablet. Its flexibility is just great, it can be used as a laptop, TV, and even as a game console. The following are its best features:
- Powerful 2.3 GHz Qualcomm Quad-core processor accompanied by 3 GB of RAM memory
- Brilliant display resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels.
- Slimmest and lightest Waterproof tablet in the world
- Rear Camera featuring 8 MP with Exmor RS sensor
- It is a PlayStation certified tablet where the Sony’s PlayStation Suite can be accessed.
Models and price
32 GB = $600
16 GB = $500
7. LG G Pad 8.3
This is actually one of the most affordable tablets in the market. Some individuals claimed that LG created this gadget to provide a strong rival for the Apple’s IPad Mini 2. It features a fast quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor. It has a very impressive display quality with 1920 x 1200 pixels. And its metal back makes it one of the most comfortable tablets to carry in different places. LG G Pad 8.3 has the following features:
- Impressive 8.3” FHD IPS Display with 1,920 x 1,200 pixels
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 1.7GHz quad-core processor
- Extended battery life with 4,600mAh battery which has a larger power capacity.
- True Multi-tasking with QSlide Function and SLIDE ASIDE
Models and price
16 GB = $329.99
8. Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
The idea behind this tablet is to be the best productive tablet, obviously at this time is not the best out there, but every feature has been improving with newer model. It is a very slim and light tablet featuring a stunning 10″ WQXGA Super clear LCD with 1600 x 2560 pixels, beautiful design accompanied with its famous stylus. Powered by a 1.9GHz Quad + Little core 1.3GHz Quad processor. It is a very productive tablet integrated with office applications that make your work even easier. here are its best features
- Octa processor with Big Core 1.9GHz Quad + Little core 1.3GHz Quad
- WQXGA Super clear LCD with 1600 x 2560 pixels resolution.
- A fun and intuitive way to surf around your device using the STYLUS.
- Rear CMOS, 8MP camera and CMOS, 2MP front camera.
Models and Price
16 GB = $549.99
9. Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7
The competition becomes more challenging for all the tablet’s manufacturers in the market because of the presence of this tablet. Kindle Fire versions remain strong and popular at the present time because of the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7. It is powered by a Quad-core Snapdragon Processor with 2.2 GHz with is fast enough to run almost any game and application.This tablet features stunning and brilliant screen resolution. In addition to that, it is very easy to use. This tablet falls in this position because is very limited to the Amazon world, there is not much flexibility in its operating system. Here are the features of this tablet:
- 7″ HDX display (1920×1200), high pixel density (323 PPI)
- The fastest processor on a 7″ tablet—powerful 2.2GHz Snapdragon quad-core processor
- It features the latest version of custom Amazon UI Fire 3.0 Android Jelly Bean
- A 720 pixel front camera.
- Fast and powerful WiFi and the latest LG technology
Models and Price
16 GB WiFi = $229
16 GB WiFi + 4G LTE = $329
32 GB WiFi = $269
32 GB WiFi + 4G LTE = $369
64 GB WiFi = $309
64 GB WiFi + 4G LTE = $409
These are the best tablets on the market in 2014, featuring cutting-edge technology, that makes them essential tools to be more productive. There are great upcoming gadgets that will bring more innovative features to our lives.